The latest version of WordPress, which is version 3.6, is now live with some new functions and features. As always, we’d recommend backing up your site before starting any upgrade procedure, which is a process we undertake for many of our clients.
The release, codename ‘Oscar’ is covered in this video produced by WordPress:
Features for WordPress users:
For general users and authors, the main features of the new release are:
- New Twenty Thirteen default theme.
- Revamped Revisions to save every change with a new interface
- Post Locking and Augmented Autosave to allow saves by authors and taking over post editing when more than one author is working on an individual post.
- Built-in HTML5 media player for native audio and video embeds.
- Improved integrations and oEmbed support for Spotify, Rdio and SoundCloud.
- Easier Menu Editor.
Developers also benefit from a new audio/video API with access to metadata like ID3 tags, HTML5 markup for more elements, better filters for revisions, and a long list of additional changes.
We’ve already updated this site to 3.6 and some other test sites, and haven’t experienced any substantial problems. But it will depend on the plugins and frameworks you are currently using, so please do make sure you back up before updating, especially if you don’t have regular backups already taking place.